Marine

Your chance to discuss anything about GTFC, whether it be how are we playing, is the match on or even just to start a debate

Moderator: sut

Marine

Postby GingerbreadSi on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:56 am

It's finally here!

Their manager this the pitch will help them http://nonleague.pitchero.com/transfers ... ses-tommy/

Come on Town, let's have a great start to the season
GingerbreadSi
v Leicester City 1997

Re: Marine

Postby sut on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:41 am

Skem and then Marine must have played on a carpet, because NO ONE come unstuck against him last season.

Little Tommy really has no idea if he believes that statement
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby Parso on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Dear Tommy,

Thanks

Parso x
Gary Bull enthusiast
Parso
v Yeovil Town 1972

Postby Retro Smith on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:36 pm

As good a first game of the season as certainly I can remember. From start to finish we were the better team and whilst still nervous at just one up at half time as soon as the second went it we went from strength to strength and took opportunities when they came which was good to see. Not going to get carried away with one win as I thought Marine were very poor but you can only beat what is put in front of you and we did that emphatically. Promising crowd also as was pleased with anything over 250. Shawy on the scoresheet in the first game is good to see although I thought Danny M was MOTM. At the back I thought Baker and Stef looked solid in the middle, Wright did well in centre mid also. You can only dream of such an emphatic first game of the season, superb from the boys and the challenge now is to go and get a result at Rushall where we tend to struggle.

Saturday's are back.......boooommmmm!!!!!
Just read that 4,153,237 people got married last year, not to cause any trouble but shouldn't that be an even number?
Retro Smith
v Hednesford Town 1998

Postby Cockney Gingerbread on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Great start to the season.

Attendance 16% up on last season's average of 229
Gate 40 (+18%) up on corresponding fixture last season
Comfortably the biggest gate against Marine since promoted in 2012: 228, 182, 186, 207, 225, 265

First opening day win since 2010

Oh, and the biggest opening day win for Grantham Town - EVER (143 years)
One team in England - Grantham Hardcore (reclaim the East Stand)
Cockney Gingerbread
v Tamworth 2002

Postby St Albans Bianconeri on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:45 am

That'll do for a start. It was a tight game until we scored, but I think we all felt we were looking the better side and more capable of creating chances. They had a great chance early on but that was pretty much it. Both teams worked hard and a few tasty tackles were flying in. The referee had clearly missed his football as he was getting much touches (and better ones) than the entire Marine front line. Burrows was looking hungry and sharp and had our best chance when put through on goal but their keeper was very quick to come out and block the shot. It looked for all the world a 0-0 at half time until they gifted us a penalty. Danny was going nowhere when their defender decided to lunge in to try and get the ball. Crazy. We then kept up our abysmal penalty record although Wright surprised is all by following up the rebound...something we normally only see done against us.

With a strong breeze behind us in the second half (blowing the opposite way to what it normally does), it was always going to be a struggle for Marine. Having said that, Edgar had another great chance for them missing a free header after a neat turn and cross. After that it was pretty much one way traffic. Shaw perhaps a little lucky to see his lob drop down nicely from the crossbar but all credit to him for following up his effort to be there to finish it off. His goal seemed to energise him and give him belief and a typical close range piece of anticipation gave him his second. Wright bagged the goal of the game with a fierce shot from the edge of the box after being set up well by Jezza...and then to round off a perfect day Luke Shaw provided a trademark cross and McEnemy stormed in to head past the keeper.

We are obviously going to miss Luther, Ellis and Harry and it will doubtless affect the way we play but the players who came in certainly worked hard. Baker reminds me of Dave Robinson and won header after header and looks a great partner for Stef. Danny in the second half was the Danny that is fast becoming a modern day legend, superb headers from Kieran's kicks and some great delivery as ever. I was really impressed with Jezza when he came on, looking like the player who burst into the team so impressively against Hednesford last year. Jordan went off with a knock so I'm hoping that was just a precaution. Curtis deserved his start and really looked the part. Huge credit to any player who sticks with a club when having to rely on a handful of sub appearances. Lastly, young Jack from Lincoln looked a handful when he came on, strong and quick and almost set up a goal for Jezza with a great cross.

So a great start but I'll remind myself that Luton put 8 past Yeovil last week and lost yesterday. The games come so quickly at the start of this season you barely get time to enjoy a win or mourn a defeat.

Finally...the club down the road. Oh dear...losing 2-0 to an Emily Bronte character.
Never touch an electrician with no eyebrows
St Albans Bianconeri
v Leicester City 1997

Postby Parso on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Five goals, clean sheet, Shawy up and running, two new players getting on the scoresheet and top of the league, can't ask much more than that after one game. Seeing poor Tommy look shellshocked in the post match video was the cherry on top.

We lost at both Rushall and Ashton last season, so if we could pick up two points from the next two away games, I'd consider that an excellent start. Plus, with three points on the board, we're probably about only 37 points from safety!
Gary Bull enthusiast
Parso
v Yeovil Town 1972

Return to Talk Football