Stevo

Your chance to discuss anything about GTFC, whether it be how are we playing, is the match on or even just to start a debate

Moderator: sut

Stevo

Postby Gav on Wed May 16, 2018 10:29 am

I hope I'm wrong but just heard that Stevo has left.
Gav
v Rushden Town 1990

Re: Stevo

Postby St Albans Bianconeri on Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 am

Sadly you are right. His twitter feed is saying that for personal reasons he is calling it a day.
Never touch an electrician with no eyebrows
St Albans Bianconeri
v Leicester City 1997

Postby sut on Wed May 16, 2018 11:45 am

sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby Parso on Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 am

Genuinely surprised when I saw the news, but on reflection, it makes sense to leave on a high, rather than trying to follow up the season just gone.

The last two seasons have been fantastic and a lot of it is down to Stevo. Taken us to two finals and racked up 157 points in the league, against teams with much bigger budgets and resources.

I guess he leaves us in a MUCH better state than when he inherited the reins, and I assume we'll be a relatively attractive proposition for someone to take over.
Gary Bull enthusiast
Parso
v Yeovil Town 1972

Postby sut on Wed May 16, 2018 12:02 pm

That's what I was hoping to read, a decent positive response. Thanks Parso :)

I agree, we are in a great position, solid foundations off the field (no debt) on the back of a good season, crowds on the up, lots of positives at the club, if we get the right man for the job, no reason why this isn't the next chapter of progression
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby St Albans Bianconeri on Wed May 16, 2018 12:19 pm

My hope would be that recent progress has put us on the radar of someone who wouldn't ordinarily have had a look...maybe even a Mills type figure looking to start his career. My only caution would be to not look backwards...I guess there might be a few 'old faces' who could come knocking on the door!!

Key time this...let's build on what Adam and co have started.
Never touch an electrician with no eyebrows
St Albans Bianconeri
v Leicester City 1997

Postby Parso on Wed May 16, 2018 12:45 pm

sut wrote:That's what I was hoping to read, a decent positive response. Thanks Parso :)

Well, it's the truth!

Stevo - and the players - have given us so many memorable moments in the last three and a half seasons. Matches and performances that we'll still be talking about long into the future.
Gary Bull enthusiast
Parso
v Yeovil Town 1972

Postby sut on Wed May 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Parso wrote:Well, it's the truth! Matches and performances that we'll still be talking about long into the future.

What on those long slow road trips (to Basford) :lol: :lol:
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby GingerbreadSi on Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Obvious suprise at the news but can only thank him for what he's done over the last few seasons.

St Albans Bianconeri wrote:My hope would be that recent progress has put us on the radar of someone who wouldn't ordinarily have had a look...maybe even a Mills type figure looking to start his career.

Key time this...let's build on what Adam and co have started.

Have to agree with this. Going to be an interesting summer :D
GingerbreadSi
v Leicester City 1997

Postby sut on Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 pm

In other news, Coalville have announced a 'new' manager today :lol:
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby Retro Smith on Wed May 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Struggling to post to be honest as genuinely surprised and gutted that Stevo has gone and disappointed but appreciative in equal measures.

Let's start with the positives. This guy has done this football club an honourable service in his time as with the budget he has had to massively over achieve in the last two seasons is testament to his managerial skills in not only finding players but making them better players. To get within 90 minutes of the Conference North was an outstanding achievement this year and I don't think I will see many seasons in my lifetime with 14 away wins, unbelievable showing. A nice bloke as well which always helps and for all he has done for this club I thank him. I am also going to commend him on his timing as to do the presentation night but then early after declare his leaving is admirable giving the club time to appoint a successor and get an element of close season in to give the club a chance.

Negatives I think are going back to Coalville. Citing travel and family reasons is fair enough as in our league we do some mileage (I should know!) and in the Midland League they are now in then that makes sense. Aspirationally as a manager a backwards step in my opinion as whilst the same level I think it is not progressive. But if he wants to be local and he has always been a fave there then I can see the appeal. Would he have made the decision if we had won the play off final? Only Stevo can answer that? I would guess he would have stayed.

I had hoped after two great seasons and getting progressively better that he might have wanted one more crack at the league but again he has his reasons and those have to be respected.

Too early to think about other options for me (albeit my phone has been red hot this afternoon) but I would like to thank Stevo for his commitment and loyalty to Grantham Town FC and I wish him all the best in the future.

Tinged with sadness and slight disappointment to not quite see the job through to conclusion but great for a manager to leave on amicable terms and would be happy to share a beer and a chat in future meetings, and I knew he would get Nathan Watson under him at some point.
Just read that 4,153,237 people got married last year, not to cause any trouble but shouldn't that be an even number?
Retro Smith
v Nottingham Forest 1980

Postby Gav on Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 pm

Disappointed to see he's gone back to Coalville. I thought he was more ambitious than that. Like others on here would have thought he would have given it one more crack.

But as long he doesn't steal any of our core players, I thank him and wish him well.
Gav
v Rushden Town 1990

Postby Parso on Thu May 17, 2018 7:10 am

Poor Gary Hackett :lol:
Gary Bull enthusiast
Parso
v Yeovil Town 1972

Postby Leicester Gingerbread on Mon May 21, 2018 7:30 am

Absolutely gutted by this news and can’t share everyone else’s optimism that we can just get another manager and move on as though nothing has happened.
Success for our club has usually come once a manager has been in the job a few years and built his own team and this is why I was so confident that we would get promoted next year. The fear now is that some of our best players will also leave and even if they don’t, the dressing room spirit is BOUND to be affected! What a sad way to end a brilliant season. i:)
Leicester Gingerbread
v Rushden Town 1990

Return to Talk Football