Worst Grantham Journal journalism ever

Your chance to discuss anything about GTFC, whether it be how are we playing, is the match on or even just to start a debate

Moderator: sut

Worst Grantham Journal journalism ever

Postby Cockney Gingerbread on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:20 pm

When Phil Boyer signed for Grantham it was a huge back page story in the Grantham Journal.
When Martin O'Neill became Grantham manager it was again a huge back page story.

Of course, they deserved to be big stories - famous international footballers coming to be involved with Grantham. That's not "fake" fame like being a World Champion in a Sport with 2 other competitors and 200 Twitter followers. It's being famous in the world's most popular sport. Generally, Grantham doesn't get too many really famous sports stars associated with the town's sporting scene so it is rightly big news when they do - or should be.

Incidentally, both of these signings led to huge increases in attendances as they generated huge interest (perhaps because they were covered properly in the local media) and were seen as a signal of ambition/intent.

Cue to 2018 and the appointment of Ian Culverhouse our biggest name managerial recruit in about 30 years - Gary Mills was probably more known locally because of Forest connection but Culverhouse played more top flight football as well has having recently been an assistant manager in the Premier League - the richest league in world football.

I bought the GJ today expecting to see some great coverage of this major Grantham sporting news and what do I find is the big sports story of the week - some 12 year old kids get to walk on the Twickenham turf. The Ian Culverhouse story is tiny in everyway and is mostly buried away in a non-descript column about 3 pages in.

It's a bit like there's a big terrorist attack in the Isaac Newton Centre and the GJ leads with an article on the record number of visitors to Denton Street Market.

In it's defence the GJ coverage is sometimes very good but this shouldn't totally depend on the copy it is fed. I understand that local news isn't as well resourced as it used to be and that there are print deadlines to be met but this story "broke" on Wednesday not Thursday and if you're going to retain any journalistic credibility it is surely important to be able to sometimes change the planned lead story when overtaken by events. I suspect Mark Duffy would have given this story way more hype had it happened in his patch.

If they really couldn't do Culverhouse's appointment properly with their deadlines it would have been better if they'd held it over a week.

I realise that print media is not quite as important as it used to be but this shocking coverage really gives the impression (falsely) that the town's football club is really of no consequence and no more newsworthy than the next "Buggins" who deserves a turn in the local press.

Followers on Twitter:
Kesteven Rugby Club 86
Shaun Balfe 280
Grantham Town Football Club 8,167
One team in England - Grantham Hardcore (reclaim the East Stand)
Cockney Gingerbread
v Tamworth 2002

Re: Worst Grantham Journal journalism ever

Postby GordonJay on Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Yesterdays newspapers are tomorrows chip papers.
GordonJay
v Loughborough Dynamo 2010

Postby TonyF on Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Don’t be too harsh on the Journal. Culverhouse has been with the club for 2 weeks and he hasn’t said a public word. The leaving players and thosecstill to leave have lots to say privately and publicly but no word from the club or the new man over the last 14 days. Kieron’s interview on Basford was like one produced by kidnappers holding a foreign person captive... I wouldn’t mind hearing that someone else was excited about the new challenge etc....
Now aiming for top 5 place
TonyF
v Southport 1998

Postby Retro Smith on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:40 pm

Are we missing a trick as a club from a media perspective. Totally appreciate it is the club and manager's prerogative as to when they give details on new players, pre season friendlies, season tickets sales, etc and sure there is lots going on behind the scenes but rather than an apparent media lockdown on anything for two weeks since IC's appointment could we put some positive news out there. Sure a quote from IC on his excitement at joining the club would be good or maybe put a spin doctor approach to losing key players from last season into a good news story that we got a significant fee and sell on clause for Preston. Appreciate this is a big overhaul this close season but not sure no news breeds any positivity on the new regime and the fact we are all reading on Kings Lynn's forum about the deal we did with Basford for Preston reflects well on our media output.
Just read that 4,153,237 people got married last year, not to cause any trouble but shouldn't that be an even number?
Retro Smith
v Barnsley Reserves 1946

Postby sut on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:00 pm

Lets put this into perspective, the deal for Preston to Basford was agreed to be undisclosed (as per Basford's request), as was a deal for Danny Meadows to join Newark Flowserve, are you requesting that we breach these confidences just so we have a news article ? Do other clubs do pre-releases when they sell a player ?

For what it's worth we are still 17 days away from being able to register a player, unless they are on contract, as you know we aren't in a position to go throwing money around to tempt players to the club. For your information I will be meeting with IC on Thursday to discuss any possible news we can release, but until things are confirmed the club aren't going to deal in rumours or speculation are they ?

We have tried many times the pre-season hype about incoming players only for them not to play for us come the season (Steve Towers anyone). Judge the media output by it's quality not it's frequency.

As you can imagine IC is very busy working towards building his team for next season, plus it's holiday season for many, we have a World Cup starting tomorrow, are people really that desperate to know our pre-season fixtures ??

If you want to read a cliche riden piece about how delighted he is top be at the club I'm sure I can write one, I personally feel it would be more beneficial to let him get on with his job and then announce details when they are confirmed.
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby Cockney Gingerbread on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:46 pm

Don’t be too harsh on the Journal

The Grantham Journal reporting of the appointment of Culverhouse was lazy, disgraceful and shoddy journalism. I don't know whether the club could have done more but as I said previously/similarly the London terrorist bombings in 2005 didn't rely on London Transport sending "copy" to the BBC in order for it to be disseminated.

If a proper news story turns up on your doorstep you don't lead with a kids day out to London.
Last edited by Cockney Gingerbread on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One team in England - Grantham Hardcore (reclaim the East Stand)
Cockney Gingerbread
v Tamworth 2002

Postby Retro Smith on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:54 pm

Not asking for any confidence to be breached, I am suggesting why not put a positive slant on it i.e this was a good deal for the club in which we obtained a transfer fee and sell on clause. No value, no disclosing of anything sensitive, just something to appease the negativity that silence could bring. Obviously not too closely kept a secret when another non related club has all the deal details. If true then shout about the fact it potentially our second highest transfer fee after Gary Crosby?

I have seen numerous articles from managers who have joined clubs in the close season, that is not uncommon. You should not be writing something, this is output from an incoming manager I would naturally expect to see after an appointment.

Media output frequency for me is paramount to keep momentum. Agree quality is important too but in my opinion everything we achieved last year in increasing crowds and new fan base could be lost if nothing is encouraging them on the upcoming season even though we are still some time away from that.

In the end it is not for me to say how the club officially communicates to fans via the numerous mediums we now have in the day and age, and last year I thought we were particularly excellent in this field and progressed significantly, I just think personally that radio silence, whilst in some areas is necessary, is always appropriate.

Interested to get other fans views though if I am unfair in this slight criticism.
Just read that 4,153,237 people got married last year, not to cause any trouble but shouldn't that be an even number?
Retro Smith
v Barnsley Reserves 1946

Postby sut on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:18 pm

Retro Smith wrote:Media output frequency for me is paramount to keep momentum.

Hope you follow Matlock then, as that is tiresome, daily updates on the grass, if that floats your boat we can do it !!!

You should not be writing something How do you think it gets on the website then ??

second highest transfer fee after Gary Crosby? It's not

everything we achieved last year in increasing crowds and new fan base could be lost if nothing is encouraging them on the upcoming season Crowds were up because we were winning games of football

You perhaps shouldn't believe everything you read on other clubs forums :D
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby Retro Smith on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Go on then, enlighten me on who was less than Gary Crosby but more than Kieron?
Retro Smith
v Barnsley Reserves 1946

Postby sut on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Robbie Cooke for starters
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby Retro Smith on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 pm

How much? 15k for Crosby and as per our Kings Lynn fan in the know Preston 10k?

And for starters suggest others?
Retro Smith
v Barnsley Reserves 1946

Postby sut on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 pm

Crosby was £20k
Gary Jones £17.5k
sut
v Middlesbrough 1974

Postby Retro Smith on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Fair enough and thought Jones 17k but not going to quibble over £500 but back to my original point it is still one of the highest fees we have got as a club so why not proudly boast that (without giving away figures). Good business deal for the club and shows we are not just letting players go as that's what most fans would see without any information.
Retro Smith
v Barnsley Reserves 1946

Postby Parso on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 am

Retro Smith wrote:Fair enough and thought Jones 17k but not going to quibble over £500 but back to my original point it is still one of the highest fees we have got as a club so why not proudly boast that (without giving away figures). Good business deal for the club and shows we are not just letting players go as that's what most fans would see without any information.

Which would then alert potential players for the upcoming season who then might up their wage demands?
Gary Bull enthusiast
Parso
v Yeovil Town 1972

Postby colsterworth gingerbread on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:29 pm

I can see both sides of the argument, as I am certain others can too. I would hope we can all see the wisdom of keeping things under wraps until they become a done deal. That said, nearly 6 weeks on after the disappointment of Ashton, (but consequently only 46 weeks before they are hopefully back where they belong) what we have heard is that the management team have gone, as have a significant part of last years squad, and a new manager with very good credentials has been appointed who is working hard to replace them, and hopefully take the club to the next level. I doubt IC will have come with the plan to merely maintain our status.

As I have previously suggested, I have no doubt that a very competitive team will be on show come the start of the season. I, and I think others, are anxious to hear some positive news, and for sure I won't be relying on the GJ to find it out. So. for me, the lack of news, whilst understandable, is disappointing, and I am sure is, to an extent, detrimental in part to keeping the support momentum going. Is there no news of any pre season games that might whet the appetite?

It makes no difference to me, though. I will be buying my season ticket.
colsterworth gingerbread
v Halesowen Town 2005

Return to Talk Football